Homosexuality - what is your view?

TamaTalk

Help Support TamaTalk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Homosexuality is not all about having sex with a different guy. Yes, I know it's unbelievable, but these people can really love each other. Just like heterosexual people.

About me, I actually am not sure about that choice or being born thing. I still think of myself as a heterosexual (I find only men attractive, that is) but I still have a girlfriend, but it's more a demisexual side I guess.

But it's just like a kink. I don't think you can choose liking it or not either.

Reptiles shedding skin are my kink and I don't think one can just choose to like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I believe that all churches should accept any sinner, so it is wrong if they don't even give them a chance to repent(basically).

I personally don't go to church myself since I'm not catholic and there aren't any ither kind of churches close.

Also I do not support bullying anybody. And I'm fine with Christians supporting to non bully homosexuals, as long as they don't support the act itself.

Also I believe it's an egoistical act since I don't believe in "born that way". I believe it's a choice, or at least an influence. If your "parents" are gay it will be easier to become gay, since you're born in those circumstances. But I still believe that, besides religion, your morrals will tell you something is wrong. Although you were born with all these influences you still have a choice.

And once you made yourself believe that you were born this way, you still decide, although it's totally against nature, to have sex with him/her.

Therefore, only for your own pleasure.
I hadn't even know about gays until my own confusion started towards girls. It wasn't that my mom hated it, she just never cared to tell me about it. I met my first gay friend when I was 14-15 but I liked girls before that. When I was in 6th grade I had a 'best friend' because I hadn't known that girls could like girls like that, we held hands and hugged and spent all our time together until my family moved to another town. I do not feel I was influenced in anyway, just at a time when I started feeling attracted to boys I was also feeling attracted to some girls. I don't think anyone can make you understand how we feel or convince you that our feelings are real.

I am assuming you are a man, if you are that might be why it is harder for you to understand how we feel, many women are considered to be somewhat bisexual be it just an attraction to befriend someone all the way to the extreme of an attraction to date someone. For many straight men it is very black and white, good and bad. But believe me when I tell you, I was not influenced in any way by my parents, family or friends to be who I am. In the same way I am attracted to a man, I can be attracted to a woman as well I view them on an equal ground and can love one or the other regardless of their gender.

This is kind of unrelated to what everyone's talking about ( still related to homosexuality though )... But does anyone else get bothered when people think they can't be friends with someone who is gay because they think that person will start to "like them back"?

This way of thinking sounds very narcissistic and vain to me, because it's not like a straight person will like / hit on / sleep with every single person of the opposite gender, so why would a gay person hit on or sleep with every single person of their preferred gender?

Ugh, and also the whole "all gays / bisexuals are promiscuous" thing. I don't understand why people choose to apply this assumption only to gay or bisexual people and forget to mention all the heterosexual promiscuous behavior going on. It just seems unfair to me when people focus only on the gay men / women who use sex as a form of pleasure and ignore those who actually do realize the emotional significance of sex and engage in it with their partner out of love.

I won't judge anyone just because their personal life differs from mine and I won't assume just because it's two men or two women expressing their love for one another that their feelings are less genuine than those of a straight couple. If I have children I'm definitely going to be teaching them the same things.

+' timestamp='1351929363' post='3194468']This is kind of unrelated to what everyone's talking about ( still related to homosexuality though )... But does anyone else get bothered when people think they can't be friends with someone who is gay because they think that person will start to "like them back"?

This way of thinking sounds very narcissistic and vain to me, because it's not like a straight person will like / hit on / sleep with every single person of the opposite gender, so why would a gay person hit on or sleep with every single person of their preferred gender?

Ugh, and also the whole "all gays / bisexuals are promiscuous" thing. I don't understand why people choose to apply this assumption only to gay or bisexual people and forget to mention all the heterosexual promiscuous behavior going on. It just seems unfair to me when people focus only on the gay men / women who use sex as a form of pleasure and ignore those who actually do realize the emotional significance of sex and engage in it with their partner out of love.

I won't judge anyone just because their personal life differs from mine and I won't assume just because it's two men or two women expressing their love for one another that their feelings are less genuine than those of a straight couple. If I have children I'm definitely going to be teaching them the same things.
I've had this problem which is why I don't really tell anyone my preferences, because they get extremely awkward and accusatory, and men seem to think its like an open way to a threesome. I quit my job at safeway because of it, one woman went out of her way to make me uncomfortable and to feel bad, while some of the guys seemed to see it as an invitation to be assholes. I've learned that just not saying anything is best, let them assume what they want to assume.

Also I believe it's an egoistical act since I don't believe in "born that way". I believe it's a choice, or at least an influence. If your "parents" are gay it will be easier to become gay, since you're born in those circumstances. But I still believe that, besides religion, your morrals will tell you something is wrong. Although you were born with all these influences you still have a choice.

And once you made yourself believe that you were born this way, you still decide, although it's totally against nature, to have sex with him/her.

Therefore, only for your own pleasure.
Neither of my parents are gay. No one in my family is gay (at least, not that I know of). I don't really have any gay friends either. I was raised in a straight family. I grew up with straight friends. I was raised to believe I would have a wife and children in the future. No one ever influenced me to be gay.

When I began to realize my sexuality, I was in denial. I didn't want to be gay. I tried to be straight. I've had girlfriends, I would plan on marrying a woman, etc. But my true sexuality wasn't something I could hide from myself. It was there, and I couldn't change it.

I did not choose it. Why would anyone CHOOSE to be gay? To choose to be denied by much of society? To feel alone in this world where homosexuality is mostly judged as "unnatural"? To choose (at least for some gays) to move to a different part of the world (like my country Canada) in order to live a normal life and get married? No one chooses to be gay. No one wants to be gay. No one wants to be different. It all comes down to accepting that we can't change who we are. Now that I think about it, I've been homosexual my whole life, but just ignored it because I thought a man was supposed to be with a woman. I wasn't attracted to girls, and then one day I was attracted to boys instead. That's not how it works, at least it wasn't for me.

So unless you are gay yourself, or you know people in this situation, you can't really understand what it's like, and that being gay is NOT a choice. And this isn't just my belief, because I've experienced it. This isn't some story you read in the Bible, and you choose to believe in it. It's fact. It happens daily. It happens in the real world with real people every day.

"It all comes down to accepting that we can't change who we are"

Yup, indeed. You're a man, not a woman. ;)

I believe that although you may feel attracted to gays, you have to refrain, just like you have to refrain from so many other things in life(hatred, lust, etc..)

I believe that although you may feel attracted to gays, you have to refrain, just like you have to refrain from so many other things in life(hatred, lust, etc..)
That goes against what you believe, you were saying 'Being gay is a choice' you cannot choose who you are attracted to, it just happens. I cannot put an ugly woman in front of you and tell you 'Be attracted to her' and suddenly you will be. I cannot put a man in front of you and tell you to be attracted to him because you are fully straight. Now your logic is changing?

What we're trying to get you to understand is that we cannot control who we are attracted to, sure we can lie to ourselves and be straight, and lead miserable lives lying to people we're suppose to care about. Then turn into one of those politicians that eventually slip up and get caught with their gay lover or something. People will sacrifice for love, die for love, so people cannot deny who they love. It is a complicated emotion, though I've peeked at your profile and notice you are only 17, so I don't think any of use will be able to explain to you that feeling of love until you feel it one day. When you meet the person you want to spend your life with just think 'what if society told me to be with someone else? Could I?'

I'm sure you can't look at an ugly girl you are not at all attracted to, and then make yourself attracted to her. It works the same way with us gay people. We can't make ourselves attracted to women. Do you think you could make yourself attracted to men? No, because you're straight, right?

You can refrain your emotions, sure.. But you can't refrain who you come to love or become attracted to.

Oh, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell me what to do with my life.

Hmm, so you're telling gays that they can't love the same gender? How are homosexual acts any different from heterosexual acts? Why must you refrain from homosexual tendencies and not heterosexual ones?

And you were fervently telling us a few posts ago that being homosexual is a choice.

About that article that was linked a couple of pages ago: it said that homosexuality was originally listed as a mental illness and was saying how horrible a crime it was for the gays to have it delisted. Then the article says that it is a sin and a choice to be gay. These theories, given by the same people, completely contradict one another, something that is all too often overlooked in these debates. How can a mentally ill person be knowingly sinning? And, that article says the pro-gay groups were lying about the percentage of homosexuals in our population; apparently the gays said it was 10% when it was "actually around 1%" why are they getting so riled up about such a small portion of the people? And how can these Christian groups know the true number of LGBTs in the world, since so many of them are hiding from their true selves?

Lust is prevalent in both heterosexual and homosexual relationships. It may be even more so in heterosexual ones.

Would people really be so secretive about their homosexuality if it was a choice of their own?

From the start Stefan has been honest enough to say that his faith advocates that it is a sin for a man to lie with a man and that is why he does not support homosexuality.

Simple statement.

He has also just stated that (as part of his faith) he believes that even if you are attracted to another man you should refrain from following your instincts.

Again, he has simply stated his beliefs.

That is not the same as telling you that you cannot. It's not the same as telling you what to do.

He has tried to share his beliefs and has gone into more detail because he believes in what he said and also because so many in this thread are jumping on him each time he tries to explain more about what he believes his religion tells him.

And when he does he is then accused of "preaching".

He has been clear that he does not hate homosexuals. I haven't seen anything that suggests he goes out looking to commit hate crimes against gays, nor does he even troll forums looking to preach at homosexuals. He simply doesn't support the idea of homosexuality. He is also doing his best to post discussions in a language that is not his mother tongue and is obviously having to use google to translate some stuff; so... with all this in mind...

Live and let live guys - that's what you believe, right?

OK - so if someone doesn't agree with you, state your opinion and let it go.

I guess that's my interpretation of what is going on in this thread and I would be pretty disappointed if there are any members who are foolish enough to think this is about "taking sides". Nor is it my intention to appear to be singling out any one particular member for criticism.

The fact that you feel passionately about the topic does not excuse you from following this sites rules. It may be a reason that you are finding it hard to keep your posts respectful but it is not an excuse and there will be no exceptions.

This thread has been gently moderated several times now and I think we've made it clear this is not an opportunity for anyone to post provocative or inflammatory comments. Nor is it an opportunity to wilfully misinterpret a simple statement of opinion in order to provoke a confrontation.

If you're spoiling for a flame war take it somewhere else.

If you want to post a reply that makes it look like you are picking an argument take it somewhere else.

From the start Stefan has been honest enough to say that his faith advocates that it is a sin for a man to lie with a man and that is why he does not support homosexuality.

Simple statement.

He has also just stated that (as part of his faith) he believes that even if you are attracted to another man you should refrain from following your instincts.

That is not the same as telling you that you cannot. It's not the same as telling you what to do.

He has tried to share his beliefs and has gone into more detail because he believes in what he said and also because so many in this thread are jumping on him each time he tries to explain more about what he believes his religion tells him.

He has been clear that he does not hate homosexuals. I haven't seen anything that suggests he goes out looking to commit hate crimes against gays, nor does he even troll forums looking to preach at homosexuals. He simply doesn't support the idea of homosexuality. He is also doing his best to post discussions in a language that is not his mother tongue and is obviously having to use google to translate some stuff; so... with all this in mind...

I guess that's my interpretation of what is going on in this thread and I would be pretty disappointed if there are any members who are foolish enough to think this is about "taking sides". Nor is it my intention to appear to be singling out any one particular member for criticism.

The fact that you feel passionately about the topic does not excuse you from following this sites rules. It may be a reason that you are finding it hard to keep your posts respectful but it is not an excuse and there will be no exceptions.

This thread has been gently moderated several times now and I think we've made it clear this is not an opportunity for anyone to post provocative or inflammatory comments. Nor is it an opportunity to wilfully misinterpret a simple statement of opinion in order to provoke a confrontation.

If you want to post a reply that makes it look like you are picking an argument take it somewhere else.
^ this %100

This world is slowly turning hypersensitive about everything. People used to be allowed to have opinions and speak them without feeling like they are being attacked. We've only created monsters by trying to understand everyone's feelings and accept them. It's impossible and is just creating stronger conflict.

Simple statement.

Completely true. I was a bit confused by some conflicting opinions, which is why I was trying to gently ask some questions. Sorry if my tone was a bit off-putting. I like to know the basis of opinions, so I can understand why someone has a certain opinion, if they care to disclose this. I'd like to clarify that I'm not trying to bash or change anyone's opinion. Nor do I believe anyone else is. I think many people (including myself) may have gotten a bit carried away with these opinions. While not meaning any harm, people's writing tones have become a bit accusatory at times because they feel strongly about the topic.

Some of my replies seemed directed at certain people, but I was trying to learn more about certain mentalities. I apologize if they came off as personal and/or rude. :)

I don't honestly understand what is wrong with two people of the same gender being in love. It does not harm anyone, does not break the law, does not lead to unintended pregnancy and does make the homosexual couple happy. So why is it a bad thing?
I do support gay marriage/same gender but some people may disagree for one reason. People who think its a bad thing thinks it is because they believe god made two genders on this planet for one reason. Also, people who find being homosexual is wrong, think about animals. You see, have you ever see the same sex animals, uhh, make love? Some people feel that it maybe disrespectful to their god. In my culture/religion, being gay is wrong. Same reason I stated there....

I am 100% supportive of your statement there, by the way. :)

(I do support LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) 100%)

- TamaTamatchi

I guess it's time to throw in my two cents.

Let me start of first by saying that I am a non-religious person. That is completely my choice, and with that, I am coming into this discussion with an unbiased and accepting mind.

I will also make it clear that I am not "for" homosexuality, nor "against" it. To be "for" homosexuality would be like being "for" people with brown hair, or being "for" people with a certain accent. I don't see the point in making a deal about supporting something that is completely natural and should not be discriminated against. But that is unfortunately not the case with our world, and the idea of homosexuality is viewed as an abnormality among our human race and many are too afraid to accept it as a natural occurrence in the human genetic makeup.

From a scientific point of view, there is nothing "wrong" with being homosexual. It is just that the sexual attraction to a particular gender has been given to someone of the same gender. This of course is not the only case, and to say that "homosexuality is not a choice" is not always true. There are some people who may choose to experiment with the same gender, but that is still a choice of theirs and should be viewed no differently to someone who chooses to wear a blue tie instead of a green one for a change. But, in most cases, homosexuality is not a choice, and is just something that they are born with. Religious beliefs aside, this is a genetic fact.

All humans are not the same. And yes, one man and one woman can make a child, but that does not mean that makes it any more normal than two human beings who cannot have such a privilege of having a child. All humans are not the same, and just because a man/woman couple is able to have a child, doesn't necessarily make them ore deserving or worthy to raise a child then same sex partners.

As a non-religious person, I also view marriage as a foreign concept. Like religion, it is something that humans have created to give our lives some purpose or meaning; something to live for and live towards. But in this day and age, with divorce rates constantly rising, it makes one wonder; why should so many untrue and unsuccessful marriages be blessed to opposing gender couple, and not given the same chance to homosexual couples? I'm not saying that all heterosexual marriages end in divorce, and I'm not saying that all homosexual marriages would not, but it should at least be able to happen. In a nutshell, it really is an abuse of human rights, allowing certain people of a genetic orientation to marry, and others of a certain genetic orientation to not. Imagine the outcry if those with downs syndrome were not allowed to marry? Those with blonde hair, or those with brown skin? Nobody would even consider not allowing these people to get married, yet there is such an objection to two people of the same gender sharing in such an event?

But marriage aside, a piece of paper cannot stop what is a natural occurrence. The main issue is that some people seem to only believe in "straight" (normal) people and "gay" (abnormal) people. When in reality, there are many types of genetic orientations, such as bisexuality, pansexuality and asexuality, just to name a few. The most common and most misunderstood would of course have to be bisexuality. And, like homosexuality, for most it is not a choice. It is genetically possible to be attracted to both men and women. And just because a person is attracted to both does not mean that they will eventually end up favouring the opposite sex in hopes of setting down and finding a family, if they fall in love with somebody of the same gender, that is perfectly normal for a bisexual person. The problem that lies here is that some homosexual people use bisexuality as a safer way or "stepping stone" to coming out from a perceived heterosexual to their true homosexual self. But just because this may be abused by some does not make it a faux sexuality in the slightest.

Pansexuality is similar to bisexuality, in the sense that an attracted to both genders may be present, but the gender is not a factor in the attraction. Pansexuals see all humans as individuals, regardless of gender, and may love whoever they choose to. Bisexuals on the other hand do recognise and accept a difference in gender, but are naturally attracted to both. Asexuals are not attracted to either gender, or have no genetic sexual identity or preference.

This brings be back to the bible. As a non-religious person, I have not read the bible, but I understand that in at least some areas it is understood that homosexuality is a sin. Much like all religions, and not to pay any disrespect to the religion, but the bible is old. Times have changed. Just because something was viewed as immoral or unjust then does not mean that it will stand the test of time and remain immoral or unjust for an infinite amount of years to come. It is only natural for us as a human race to expand, to learn and to grow. In recent years homosexuality has definitely become something that is no longer viewed as a terrible sin by many, but there are still many that do view it as just that. I ask you all to keep this in mind; think about just how many thing in our life today that we have that were not mentioned in the bible. Then hypothesise what our world might be like today if such things were deemed sins in texts such as the bible. From the computers that we use to the coffee that we drink to the music that we listen too... imagine if this was viewed as sinful in our religion? How bad you would be made feel if every time to took a sip of coffee you couldn't help but feel someone staring at you, judging you.

Just some food for thought. But for now, I will leave you with this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM2J7nOp3nU

I do not agree that it is a genetic fact. In fact, it is not one.

Two twins have the same genes, yet this doesn't mean they both are gay if one of them decides he is.

If you think it is that way, it doesn't mean it is that way.

There were millions of cases where both twins were born gay. It is also scientifically proven why it can work that way. Look it up, not only on internet, look into books.

Unless you are a type of a christian who doesn't believe science.

You cannot agree or disagree if something is genetic fact. That is like agreeing or disagreeing that we need oxygen to breathe and live. It either is a fact, or it is not. In this case, it is fact. That is why it is now called sexual orientation, not sexual preference.

That is somewhat true about the twins situation, but it is not as simple as that. There are two types of twins - identical and fraternal. Identical twins do have identical DNA and genes, as you said, whilst fraternal twins do not. In saying that, even with an identical genotype, the phenotype of how the genes are expressed can be different. This is why no two identical twins look exactly the same. The same idea can be applied to general likes - what one twin likes, may it be food, hobbies, or the like, does not necessarily mean the other one does, just like you said.

The problem (not so much of a problem, but difference) arrises when you believe homosexuality (or in general any sexuality) to be a choice, and I believe it to be a part of our genetics. Just because one twin is a homosexual does not mean that the other one is, correct, but it has nothing to do with one "choosing the lifestyle".

But I need to remember that as much as I see myself as being correct, I'm sure that you have justifiable reasons for yourself. There is nothing that I can do to change your mind; you will have to make your decisions on your own, and that's perfectly fine. We've obviously been raised in different environments, and although none of us like to admit it, the environment that we've been raised in can shape our entire lives. I've been raised in a relatively non-religious environment where I've been allowed to make my own choices when it comes to religion, and I'm truly grateful for that. I obviously can't speak for you, not knowing your life story, but I can infer that you have had a Christian background and that is what you've known since childhood. There is no way that I am going to come out of this discussion believing that homosexuality is a choice, and I can infer that there is no way that you will come out of this discussion accepting that homosexuality is genetic and is not something chosen by the sinner.

So I will end my part of this discussion for now, but I will ask you this. If it is to your belief that homosexuality is a choice, that is fair enough to believe in. But homosexuality is a subdivision of sexuality itself, and everybody does have a sexuality. But is sexuality born or chosen? If homosexuality is chosen, then heterosexuality must be chosen also. And if heterosexuality is something that you are born with, then homosexuality is also. The two go hand in hand; everybody cannot simply be born with one and some choose another. So if, according to your thoughts, homosexuality is a choice, then heterosexuality must be also. And as a heterosexual, may I ask you when and why you chose to become heterosexual? What was that decision like for you? Can you spare the details? I certainly can't.

Homosexuality is something that is becoming more common in recent times, and why do you think that is? It's not because it's "cool" and "sinful" so more people are choosing to "try" it, it's because we're in the 21st century, and times are changing. Compare human rights from now to those of century's past. Compare African American rights from the 1950's until today. Think about what our lives would be like today, what their lives would be like today if those civil rights movements had not happened. Barack Obama certainly wouldn't be president (whether that is a good thing or a bad thing in your eyes, I will leave up to you). People are becoming more accepting, yes, but they are also becoming more aware that homosexuality is not something that a few odd people have. It is something that humans have always had, but have been forced to subdue in order to fit the normalities of our society. I believe you would be surprised to find just how many people are actually homosexuals today, yet suppress it in order to give themselves a better lifestyle. And that should not be the case, not just for homosexuals, but not for anybody with any form of identity that feel like they have to hide it.

And just one last thing. Compare homophobic or non-homosexual supporters of today to the past. There are decreasing numbers. Of course some will always remain, but in the years to come I feel that we will see a rise in homosexual acceptance and a drop in non-homosexual support. Just because homosexuality exists does not threaten the entire human race. There are still heterosexual people on earth, and they will continue to produce children and use up more oil and eventually destroy the planet with greenhouse gases and global warming and live happy lives. But even if it is a choice, why should those who choose to live a certainly lifestyle be made to feel inferior to those who choose to live another?

I agree with SamJJE101. Most homosexuals/bisexuals are born that way.

So if there are twins, and one of them is gay, but the other is not, then there could be many things that happened. Yes, it's possible that one chose to be gay, but it's also possible that they were both born gay and one decided to deny this. Or, one chose to be gay and one chose to be heterosexual (if this was true it would mean we are all born with no sexuality, and we have to choose homosexuality or heterosexuality). Or, they were both bisexual or pansexual, and the list of possibilities goes on and on.

There are gay genes, yes, but a person's sexuality can also be brought about by the experiences someone has in their lifetime. Maybe they were abused by one gender and want nothing to do with that gender any longer (think The Color Purple). Plus a host of other likelihoods.

There is scientific proof that some people are born with a different sexuality than heterosexuality. This is undeniable. People struggle with their sexualities for a long time, and are bullied for their sexuality (whatever it may be) and still keep that. Don't you think that if it was a choice, homosexuality or heterosexuality could be talked, bullied, eradicated from a person?

People don't decide their sexuality; they realize it.

Stefan, I'm glad you're being inquisitive and friendly about this, but please be a bit more open-minded about this stuff, maybe don't deny scientific facts? But I'm ok with whatever opinion you have of this topic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back